Custom (user defined) file signature templates
Active@ UNDELETE comes with more than fifty predefined (internally programmed, very fast) file signatures to be used to detect particular files (MS Office Documents, many Image formats, ZIP archives, MP3, etc..See complete list of supported file signatures) during disk scan. However sometimes advanced users need to detect more specific file formats, not being defined in default signatures set.
Active@ UNDELETE offers advanced tools to define user's templates for signatures to be analyzed. Signatures can be defined using extended definition language RegExp (Regular Expressions).
To create custom file signature
- Click command to open Preferences dialog.
- Open File Signatures group and use Add button to define new custom file signature or
- Click Import button to load (import) custom file signature from script file (*.ini format). See Custom Signatures Size Script for details.
Custom file signature template
Provide template name and brief description - for future references. Specify file extension of a file type you defining (optional). To completely define custom file signature template you need to enter Header (beginning of the file) and Footer (end of the file) criteria using RegExp syntax. Header criteria could be more then one and all of them must be met to consider beginning of the file. Footer's criteria could more then one too, but at least one of them must be met to consider end of file.
- Template name
- Unique template name.
- Template description
- Brief template description (optional)
- File extension
- File extension for this template (optional)
- Beginning of File Criteria
- List of RegEx criteria, considered as beginning of file combined as AND statements. Not earlier then and Not later then specifies limits of defined criteria in the beginning of a file template.
- End of File Criteria
- End of files can be determined in two ways:
- By list of RegEx criteria, considered as end of file combined as OR statements. In case of missing file footer criteria, end of file will be taken by defined Maximum file size. Append after attribute specifies size of end of a file. File size is used in case of missing file end criteria. By default its 65535 bytes.
- By using simple script to calculate end of file. See Custom Signatures Size Script for reference.
Defined custom file signatures templates are stored in INI files in user's selected locations and will be loaded at every consequent application starts. You can also import such custom signature template files created by other users by clicking Import button and specifying full path to custom file signatures template file in opened dialog. See Custom Signatures Size Script for details.